Tuesday 26 April 2011

Feature Article



 
To give my feature article a more professional look, i came up with the idea of creating a logo which would be put on the top corner of a page. I used a font which gave the initials "BC" a more gothic appearance.

For my feature article i decided to create a British Metal band using a friend as the lead singer.  I felt that coming up with my own band meant that i could ask more questions which would make my article more detailed.  While looking at magazines like Kerrang! And Rock sound I found that many of the have similar layouts, for example an image took up one page or half a page, when creating my feature article I wanted to have an image which look over half of the A3 sized page. E.g.







Once adding the image i could then use a quote from the text, as many articles already do, this would be used to draw the reader into the article.  This would then give the feature article a more of a professional look. since i am using half the page for the image, i am going to add another page on to my feature article. once this magazine was made it would be placed behind the double page.



This is an example of the 3rd page will look like.  When I was doing my research I found that many feature articles were bulked out with many different sized images. I wanted this to be one of the main features for my article.





This is the interview which will form my Feature article






A new screamo band hits the British music scene.

Its 2011 and we have exclusive access to one of the hottest up-coming bands which are planning to take the UK screamo scene by storm.  We met lead singer Jack Patterson and made him part of the Broadcast team.

Fear of Falling formed in 2008. The five-some, Jack, Danny, Nathan, Matt and Jarrod, all met in Newcastle College where they become close friends.  FOF have been together for 4 years, maybe you’re asking yourself why you haven’t heard of them?
Lead singer Jack told us

We loved being a small band… playing for friends it local pubs was an amazing achievement for us! Every weekend we played our hearts out… we were approached by a recording label that had been tipped off about us. We were all shocked; I didn’t take it seriously at first.

When we finally got signed some of our fans didn’t like the idea of becoming a successful band. So at our latest show we, as a band, made a promise to not become a group of stuck up arses like many bands today.

It’s different… I mean I never thought we would become a band who has this many fans, will still play shows in my parents’ garage.  I loved playing small shows, but I really can’t wait to join the tour with Funeral for a Friend

I wanted the lyrics in my songs to hit our fans hard. They are so very personal to me. I have had some problems in my life and instead of turning to self-harming I turned to writing. I know people will think I’m soft, but everyone has there own way of coping. I became good friends with a fan of ours… her life was crap and she turned to self-harming and drug abuse. I thought to myself ‘what’s that going to do?’

We decided to ask Jack some questions and here they are;

What was your reaction when you found out that someone wanted to sign Fear of Falling?
Well we were all confused at first I mean 3 years of being a no-body to coming someone if scary! We got back Nath’s house and talked about it for hours, yeah we let fame kind of take over in them hours but seriously… it was the best surprise in awhile!

We heard that the band when through an emotional time how did you all over come that?
Loosing someone you where close to isn’t something you can get over so fast! I mean we all still miss Tom (Tom Young ex drummer) Danny and Tom were friends since they were 5… I mean that’s hard. Danny didn’t take it well. We all miss him. We gained a skilled drummer just like Tom; Matt is a great guy, we are all happy to have him!

For all you growing female fans, are there any girls on the scene?
(Laughs) I was told to be careful when answering this question! I am single along side Nath, Jarrod and Matt… Danny is (pauses) taken (laugh again)
Is there something we should know?
He would eat me alive if I told you!

Okay, so you won’t tell us the gory details about your love lives, so tell us how you’re feeling about touring with Funeral for a Friend…
I have been a huge fan of FFAF since they were small! I was like a fan girl when I found out they were willing to take us on tour! It’s like “WTF!” Danny had to slap me across the face. (Laughs) they are very talented guys!

We have all seen the new video, how was shooting in the snow for you?
I get asked every time if it was real snow! And it was! We all got dressed up in suits and everything! We were working with a great director as well.  We came up with the idea of the video while we were recovering from an ace house party (laughs) it was Matt’s idea to wait till it snowed. My parents have a huge contrary house so they allowed us to record the video there...  

 
! What was it like diving into an icy lake? Looked cold!
Errmm... It was a little cold (laughs) my best friend played the part of the woman in the lake! I was more worried about her she had to stay under till I got to her. The first time we ran through it, it took me 5 minutes to take off my shoes! She was freezing when we got her out! I felt so bad. She got the flu afterwards, to pay me back she sneezed on me! I had to take off my suit jacket and waist coat before they wanted me to get in. To b very honest with you I was scared of losing a toe or something

The people at Broadcast thought your friend was very attractive! Were there any sparks during that kiss?
“Broadcast! You’re so nosey!”
BC: “indeed we are!”
Jack: “(laughs) we dated when we were 7 or 8. I stole her ice- cream and we have been inseparable basically ever since. I don’t know maybe it will be one of those childhood sweetheart things... when we had to kiss the first time, we both looked at each other and burst out laughing, for like the next few takes we just couldn’t stop laughing every time we had to kiss.

Can you tell us anything more about the video?
“When playing in the main hall Danny swung his guitar around and smacked Nathan on the head... we he passed out and fell to the floor I fell over him! It all happened fast and they were behind me so I didn’t have any idea that Nathan was out cold!  He came back with stitches and a bald spot on his head! That’s why he just stood still for most of the video! We were all worried about him! My mum was just worried about the blood on her white rug! When he was better she chased his round with a scrubbing brush! God I love my mum!



No comments:

Post a Comment